Wednesday, February 2, 2011

A message to accompany your morning tea...

Hello blog-followers,
I have been a bit blog-shy until now, but i think it is important that I do a post because I have a small concern that needs to be aired.
We have been sailing for about 18 days now and there is still no sight of land - admittedly we did sit in very little wind for 2 days which slowed our progress - but I am starting to develop doubts in my mind. According to Columbus we should be seeing his "Americas" pretty soon. We have been travelling much faster than he would have (I think that might be due to our technological advancement - basically in Columbus' time they had not invented Speedo's yet). After multiplying the time he allegedly took with a very lenient handicap I had allotted him (the speed of a drifting log)I calculated that we should be seeing land soon. In retrospect we should really have checked the Spaniards credibility before we departed: It’s not too much of a problem if he was lying about the America thing, at least we will get to India then, but if his round-earth theory doesn't hold we might be in a bit of trouble.
Hold thumbs for us. I will keep watching the horizon and if anything solid materialises you will all be the first to know.
We have developed some new sayings and figures of speech that are more suitable to boat-life. For example: when trying to convince someone that you are telling the truth one would sometimes have said: "I swear on my oath" (a saying which I think might not be the most sincere anyway as no- one seems to know which oath is being referred to) With food having been meticulously portioned by Kathryn it becomes much more plausible to now insist that a person swears "on his oats" instead. At least there is some consequence involved.
I shall get some rest now, I have just woken Brennan for his watch and will now assume his bed (there are limited places to sleep that keep the boats balance to an optimum so we have to rotate). I will just turn the pillow over in case he has slobbered!
Thank you all for the great responses and the emails, excuse our lack of responses, we will be addressing the backlog once we make landfall.
Ricky

2 comments:

  1. I am holding thumbs that the wind holds. It would be interesting to hear your observationds of the changes that occur as you near land.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ricky, turning the pillow is both fine and dandy, and important!! But as any good boy rationing his jocks (or speedo) until the next wash day comes around, perhaps look toward inside out and maybe even upside down!!?? Just a thought. You guys are rocking out there, keep it up!!

    ReplyDelete